Saturday 24 August 2024

A New Adventure Begins

Team DB are about to Fly the Coop!

It's been awhile since I wrote one of these blogs so please forgive me if I'm a bit rusty. I aim to keep these posts fairly brief and let media rather than words do most of the talking.

Di talked me into having another go at taking our bikes outside the confines of Tasmania and even past the shores of the big island to the north. My fingers are crossed that no calamity will befall us. Anyone who knows our recent history in that regard will know what I'm talking about

Here's what we've got planned (you can click on the image to enlarge it):


We fly out of Hobart in three day's time and will be gone for two months. It's been a bit of a journey getting to this point, especially just over a week ago when Justin, my go-to bike mechanic discovered a crack in the fork of the bike I was going to take with me. A new frame was ordered from the mainland via express post, all the gear came off the old bike and then was put onto the new bike along with a few replacement parts, including a super low gear to help me in my attempts to get up a few Pyrenean cols. 

According to Strava, I rode that CervΓ©lo C5 frame (now discontinued) for 51,521.7 kilometres. I don't know how many of those kilometres were done with the crack in the fork. It's replacement is a CervΓ©lo Caledonia in the sparkly "Oasis" livery. Here's what it looks like: 


Thankfully, Di's bike just needed a few tweaks, a couple of new tyres and was ready to go.

And that's it for this post. Please let me know if you'd rather not receive these updates. I won't be offended and the last thing I want to do is fill someone's inbox with unwanted mail!







21 comments:

  1. Anonymous8/24/2024

    Hi Doug, I must take lessons from you on how to set up blogs such as yours. We will read of your exploits with interest. We will also hope that our dearly beloved Sister avoids any falls or other catastrophes. As we both know, her track record is not looking too flash!😁😁 Anyway, have a fabulous & safe trip. Geoff & Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I can remember how to set up a blog anymore Geoff - thankfully I had this one sitting on the backburner! 😁

      Delete
  2. Terry Barr8/24/2024

    Awesome Team DB 😍🀩 ……. have a great trip & I look forward to reading your regular ‘Ramblings’ updates πŸ‘. Stay safe & I’m thinking positive for NO injuries on this trip πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ€—.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. Everything is crossed at this stage! 😁

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8/24/2024

    Have a marvellous trip. We'll miss you both.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without a name, I can't tell who you are but we both appreciate the warmth. πŸ‘Œ

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8/24/2024

    Have a great fun trip safe one this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/24/2024

    That was Izabela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your best wishes Iza. We'll try to stay safe AND have a rewarding time. 😘

      Delete
  6. Anonymous8/24/2024

    Have a great time ❤️Yol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yolanda. No doubt Di will put some photos on Facebook too so you should get a broader picture than my cycling biased reporting. πŸ˜„

      Delete
  7. Joanna8/24/2024

    I was hoping you’d do a blog. Looking forward to following your journee and seeing you both soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to oblige Jo, especially as I didn't need to build a platform from scratch. Looking forward to the arrival of J&J in ArgelΓ¨s-Gazost! πŸ‘Œ

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8/25/2024

    We will miss the French rendezvous, but hope you both have a fantastic time! Keep posting…I love vicarious travel! M&T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you weren't able to join us this time for another of our random rendezvous Mary and Tim. When shall we meet again? Hopefully not in thunder, lightning and rain!. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  9. Anonymous8/26/2024

    Oh DB - have an amazing time!!!!!!! I look forwrard to reading your blog, isi and sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment brought a spontaneous smile to my mug Isi! 😁 😁 😁 Keep your fingers crossed for us that we both stay upright! πŸ€žπŸ˜‰

      Delete
  10. Anonymous8/28/2024

    Hi Doug, I just found your email in my spam folder - gotta check that more often and flag this as non-spam - here's mine and Veena's best wishes for a fun AND SAFE trip. We look forward to following your adventures. ❤️ Bob and Veena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob and Veen
      So far so good. Argelès-Gazost is a lovely spot and the day ahead is looking good so we're going to drive to Campan and see what the Col d'Aspin looks like.
      Cheers
      Doug and Di 😁

      Delete
  11. Asha tandy8/28/2024

    Hope you guys have fun and have a safe flight 🩷

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Asha. We've arrived in the Pyrenees and I will do another post soon.
    Love
    Pops! 😘

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from folks who have visited.
Please leave a comment!